Equality Delivery System 2 (EDS2)
What is Equality Delivery System?
The first NHS-wide equality performance framework was launched by Sir David Nicholson in November 2011 to all commissioner and provider organisations. Using four key goals (two provider-focused, one workforce, one governance and EDHR risk management), CCGs are required to gather evidence of good equality outcomes for local protected groups and health inequality groups.
Refresh of the Equality Delivery System for the NHS
The Equality Delivery System (EDS) was rolled out to the NHS in July 2011 and formally launched in November 2011. The EDS is currently being implemented by the vast majority of NHS organisations across England. The design and implementation of the EDS was independently evaluated in November 2012.
NHS England relaunched a refreshed 'EDS2' in November 2013 to all NHS commissioner organisations and to their provider partner organisations.
EDS2 focuses on providing evidence which is then publicly graded by trained local communities of interest on how protected characteristic group patients and staff fare in healthcare compared to people in general. This includes evidence of each local protected group taking up services; patients' and staffs' differential experience and for priority CCG commissioned services. Evidence can be provided collaboratively by commissioners and providers, of required standards and that local patient experience.
The Government's Equality Strategy 'Building a fairer Britain' is underpinned by the two principles of equal treatment and equal opportunity.
By eliminating prejudice and discrimination, the NHS can deliver services that are personal, fair and diverse and a society that is healthier and happier. For the NHS, this means making it more accountable to the patients it serves and tackling discrimination in the work place.
Click here to read more about the Equality Delivery System.
- NHS England EDS2 - a personal, fair and diverse healthcare system
- NHS EDS2 Goals and Outcomes.pdf [pdf] 74KB
- Refreshed EDS2 Guide (Nov 2013).pdf [pdf] 1MB
- Refreshed EDS2 Q&A.pdf [pdf] 218KB
Latest EDS2 Information:
- NHS England: Promoting Equality & Tackling Health Inequalities
- EDHR Action Plan (including EDS Action Plan 2013-14) (Draft to follow)
- EDS Holding Statement (Regarding Public Grading by CCG - May 2013)
- EDS Report and Improvement Plan (Feb 2012)
- Compliance Dashboard 2012 (Public grading by local interest groups - Feb 2012)